A psychedelic experience can be one of the most potent experience one may have this is why for your trips it’s essential that they are positive experiences especially your first trip.
Follow this guide, and your chances of having a bad trip will be minimized:
Leading up to your trip:
1) Research your Substance: This is one of the most critical steps to ensuring you have a good experience. It also helps you determine if tripping is for you as it may not be suitable for all people. You need to research the required dosing, laws. You need to investigate any potential interactions with other drugs/medication in your body, duration of the drug, effects, health implications and people’s experiences with the drug of your choice.Good sources of information include erowid.org for trip reports and psychonautwiki.org for information on drug dosing, interactions, and effects.Useful YouTube channels include psychedsubstance, CG Kid, yourmatetom, and drugs classroom. Forums like blue light and reddit may be helpful just be aware information is not always reliable on forums and may give incorrect or dangerous information, so please verify any information you receive from forums.
You should use light doses for your first experience with a drug.
Depending on the drug potency you may need to use a milligram (x0.001g) scale for doses over 10mg required or volumetric dosing for under/ equal to 10mg.Milligram scales are cheap and can be found online on sites such as eBay or Amazon (ensure you get x0.001g scales!!!)
[IMPORTANT: It is highly advisable not to take hallucinogens with preexisting mental health issues or if you are at high risk of developing such as if one of your closely related family members has a psychological illness as psychedelics can worsen or bring forward psychological health issues. This especially goes for schizophrenia/psychosis sufferers.]
What if There’s a Bad Trip from Psychedelic Drugs?
It might be worth considering to have benzodiazepines like Xanax or diazepam on standby when going into psychedelic trips.These dull psychedelic trips in the event of an uncontrollable “bad trip” almost act like an emergency eject button from the trip. These should only be used as the last result as benzodiazepines can be highly addictive. You should also research the benzodiazepine you plan to use.
2) Test your Substance: It is imperative to reagent test your psychedelic drugs which ensures that you are getting the substance you think.
Many drugs are being sold to mimic other popular drugs. These mimics are often passed on as the substance they are trying to imitate. Not all psychedelic drugs have the same safety profile and dosing this has resulted in injury and death in the past. For example, a class of psychedelic drugs – the NBOME series mimic LSD, where has been found on a blotter like LSD, and NBOME has caused overdose deaths and adverse reactions. DOx series also found on a blotter can mimic LSD but due to the slow onset, it has resulted in people overdosing, thinking it was not working and having very long, intense and uncomfortable trips sometimes lasting over 24 hours!!!
You need to research the required reagent for your psychedelic drugs and the color it should turn. You should use multiple reagents that test for common adulterants within your drug.Reagent test kits are relatively cheap to buy online.
The Day of Your Trip
1) One of the most important steps for avoiding a bad trip, on the day of tripping ensure you have a clear mind and you are not stressed about anything happening in your life. Ensure on the day of your trip you are well rested, hydrated and you have eaten lightly approaching your trip. It may help to avoid caffeine as it can increase stress levels that are likely to cause a bad trip.
Its also best to pick a day where you are free to rest the next day after your trip, as trips can be mentally an physically exhausting especially with substances of a high duration like LSD.
2) Before entering a trip ensure you are in a familiar environment where you feel safe and can relax in. It might help if you have a sober trip sitter, on common to low doses they are not as important but are used to calm you down from a stressful journey and can often turn a trip to being positive again. The trip sitter should be someone familiar who you trust such as a close friend or family member.
Again ensure you do not feel stressed before entering a trip this is important!!!!
3) Ensure you have a decent music library set up to listen to when tripping. The music should be calm and happy. Place yourself in nature if possible and avoid music with words as they can distract you from the thoughts/insight a trip may give you. Good trip music artists include porcupine tree, Tycho, Sphongle, Solar Feilds, Koan, Zero 7 and many others!!!!
Also have some beautiful pictures, scenery or textures to watch while tripping things can get very interesting!!! Ensuring a nice scenery also promotes a calm environment needed for tripping in.
During Your Trip
1) Letting go of control: Letting go of control of a trip is essential in having a good experience as trips can offer much insight and show you new perspectives on life. Trips may also show you things make you uncomfortable. It’s important not to try to deny or resist what the trip is showing these can be some of the most beneficial experiences.
2) If you feel worried or anxious as a result of a bad trip: If you have a trip sitter, let them know how you think and what is making you feel uncomfortable. The trip sitter will often talk to you, change music or the location you are at these small changes can have a positive upon the trip. If you still are not feeling right and you can’t turn the trip around no matter what take the benzodiazepine, this will dull/kill your trip.
If you are not with a trip sitter and are having a bad trip breath deep and calm, in and out, if you still don’t calm down change the location you are at or the music you that’s playing. You may try contacting a close person by phone this can have a positive impact on a trip. If you still are not feeling right and you can’t turn the trip around no matter what take the benzodiazepine, this will dull/kill your trip. If you have no benzodiazepine on you stay in a calm place, try not resist the trip and the drug-induced journey will pass as it’s only a drug, after all, this is the only reason you feel like this. You took psychedelic drugs, it’s not permanent.
3) During your trip, you may also want to try answer fundamental questions of reality like what is consciousness, life, existence or other matters.
4) During your journey that’s induced by psychedelic drugs, you will need to stay hydrated so drink moderate amounts of water during the experience.
After your trip:
After your tour of the psychedelic headspace has ended, you may feel tired, so it’s important to get rest and stay nourished the day/day after your experience has finished.
You may also find it beneficial to reflect back on the trip and what it showed you. If it showed you something, you could do better in life then integrate that change into your life!!!
Written by Strange.